Thursday, September 11, 2008

Me! Me! Me!

At a spa in Switzerland, Jean and I watched people playing on the water tubing ride. Water flowed down levels like a fast flowing river and swirled in small pools where tubers bobbed about before being whisked down to another level and on and on it zigzagged to the bottom which wasn't visible from where we were standing. It appeared to be a fun easy activity; one I'd never tried but was curious about.

I handed my eye glasses to Jean, picked up a yellow tube, hopped onto it and away I went. Down the first level I floated and came almost to a halt in the first tiny pool. Yup! It was fun and easy!

Suddenly the current picked up the tube and carried me swiftly down to the next level. In desperation I grabbed the slippery tube's sides. A wave rose up, overturned the tube and I went under.

The thoughts that race through one's mind while in the mist of a crisis are startling. First I thought about my looks, particularly my hair. I had washed it that morning and didn't want to get it wet. Then I fretted about breaking my glasses. But I was comforted by the remembrance of leaving them in Jean's care.

The strong current pushed me to the bottom where I walloped my head. That's when I felt panicky as I feared the bump would knock me unconscious, water would fill my lungs, and I'd drown. My next thought was; 'I don't want to die on a tube ride! I don't want to go home in a box in cargo! I paid for a window seat!' I floundered in the current for some time before stumbling to the edge where a teenage boy helped me off the slide, over the railing and back onto the walkway.

Although I was relieved to be alive and well despite the bump on my head, I was dismayed to discover my true colours. Throughout the whole but short ordeal, my only thoughts were of me; not one thought about others. If I had met my end; would Jean be left with guilt about bringing me to the spa; how would my husband feel about receiving his wife in a casket; how would my family deal with the shock of my sudden demise? Shameful isn't it? I thought about my hair, my glasses, and my airplane seat.

It is human nature to focus on ourselves especially during a crisis. In fact, some news stories have reported how stronger passengers on a sinking ship literally run over the fallen weaker ones to reach the life boats.

As Jesus hung on the cross, He looked upon his accusers, some of whom were laughing and casting lots while dividing His garments among themselves, He said, "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do." In His anguish, Jesus thought about us and remembered the sole purpose of His visit. He was and is the gentle Lamb who died in our stead for our inherited and self-made sins so that we won't languish in the eternal pit of hopelessness but be reconciled into God's loving presence. He thought of us. Jesus is the way home, if we accept this truth.

Luke 23:34 KJV

No comments: