Thursday, September 4, 2008

No Big Scene

There was a long lineup, as usual, at the coffee shop yet many tables were vacant. Most customers were taking their coffee on the run.

After I received my coffee and tea biscuit, I scanned the room for a quiet spot. Aha! My eye caught the “bird’s eye view” table in the corner – perfect spot to write. I made a bee-line to it and got there safely without spilling my coffee. Carefully I set my coffee cup and tea biscuit down.

Just as I was about to lower my behind into the chair, a young boy about twelve years of age rushed over with his cold drink and straw and said, “I was sitting here!”

Apparently he had gotten up to get something when I honed into his territory. I mumbled, “Oh, you were sitting here?” I departed feeling a little embarrassed and put out. I wanted that table.

Can you image the scene if I had refused to leave? What if I had just plunked myself down and said, “Too bad, kid! You snooze, you lose!”

Then what would he have done? Perhaps thrown his drink at me? Aha! A food fight! I would have tossed my hot coffee into his face. He’d scream, then punch me, I’d kick him…the police would be summoned...we’d be charged for disturbing the peace and possible destruction of restaurant property.

But nothing like that happened. I quietly left and found another table to write at. I’ll take revenge with the pen! Not!

I wonder what others thought as I got up and left. Did they think, ‘Poor lady, ousted by a kid.’ or ‘What a nice lady to quietly leave and find another table.’ or ‘What a wimp! She should have stood up to that kid! Shame on that boy for treating his elders like that!’

You see how easy it is to avoid a big scene? Just walk away. Here is what I learned from that little incident; it doesn’t matter what others think as long as I’m doing what is right; arguing over a trivial matter is a waste of precious time; everyone deserves respect even children; holding a grudge, wallowing in feelings of offense, or allowing our minds to plot revenge only keeps us from maturing in our character and stifles grace from blossoming. A big scene can be avoided by turning the other cheek.

Matt 5:39

No comments: